Sunday, September 02, 2007

Chris Johnson Retires



Last night saw the end of an era. Chris Johnson, the last Fitzroy player in the AFL, retired.

Chris retired having achieved an enourmous amount in his career:

3 Premierships with Brisbane Lions 2001, 2002, 2003
Fitzroy Leading Goal Kicker 1995
All-Australian 2002 , 2004
International Rules rep 2002, 2003 (vice-captain), 2005 (co-captain)
Co-captain Brisbane Lions 2007
Member of the Indigenous Team of the Century


(Card signed by members so the Indigenous Team of the Century)

I saw Chris start his career as a forward for Fitzroy, back when Fitzroy rarely won a game. I remeber going to watch him play at Whitten Oval with my brother James. He was one of the main reasons I kept going to see them play, his big marks were always awesome.

When Fitzroy 'merged' with Brisbane I was glad he got picked up and when I moved to Brisbane the next year my support for him continued. He took a while to find his feet at Brisbane, but eventually Lethal made the decision to move him to the backline where he flourished.

I remeber watching his big run from the backline in the 2001 Grand Final and the agony of watching his shot for goal clip the post.

I was always rather on edge watching him play because you knew at any moment he could do something amazing or something really stupid!

I was lucky enough to bump into Chris at U2's Popmart tour in Brisbane in 1998.

(Derrick Kickett, Chris Johnson, My Dad and Darryl White at the announcement of the Indigenous Team of the Century)

I have always strongly supported Chris and looked up to him, his dad and my dad used to play footy together and I have always considered him a 'lation.

It was a sad day to see him leave the ground for the last time, but he left behind many great memories for me.

I wish him all the best for his future.

No comments: